Valentines Day Ideas You Don’t Need a Babysitter for

How much younger we look here considering it’s not even 3 years ago makes me WEEP

We all know that having tiny humans to look after makes it significantly harder, if not impossible to spend time as a couple, doing the things you used to do when you were just a twosome. Even harder when all your potential babysitters are otherwise occupied because the rest of the world are out-out in the land of the living past 7pm on Valentines Day. So if you don’t have a babysitter, or you don’t like the idea of going out on a school night, I’m here to put the cheese in your fondue with some stay-at-home-little-people-are-asleep Valentines ideas:

1. Bring back so old habits that you’ve stopped doing. When I was a student Carl and I used to order pizza and eat it in bed watching films. You’ll probably get sauce on the bedding, but a great and little known by-product of having children are packets of baby-wipes littered around the house. And those bad boys can shift a stain.
  2. Have a picnic in the living room. Light the fire, or if you don’t have a fire light some candles. Heck, light some candles anyway, it’s Valentines day! Bring in a pre-prepared picnic basket and munch away. Don’t forget the fizzy wine and strawberries.
  3. Create a restaurant at your dining table, set the table, share some wine and eat at least two courses.
  4. Play games – Monopoly, Scrabble, Cluedo, even the Rightmove game. Something where you’ll have to actually talk to each other is always fun.
  5. Bring the cinema experience (kind of) to your living room with popcorn, nachos, hot dogs and drinks in paper cups and sit next to each other on the sofa, turn the lights off and put a great film on.

Now I know what you’re thinking;

“I have a child who has a sixth sense for when I’m about to eat anything delicious, watch anything interesting or do anything remotely fun that doesn’t involved them They’ll be wide awake faster than you can say ‘Cupid’ and promptly at half hour intervals until we admit defeat and Daddy’s hot-footing it to the spare bed.”

Which is why I have BONUS idea number 6

Pretend the nearest weekend is actually Valentines Day, call in a babysitter, get dressed up and go out on an ACTUAL date. I know, I know…I’ve thought of everything…

The Pramshed

1. February 11, 2017 / 9:17 am

Great tips. Me and the wife love living room picnics – problem is so do the kids!! #fortheloveofblog

February 13, 2017 / 8:42 pm

Haha! True! Thank you for commenting! ,

2. February 11, 2017 / 3:38 pm

This is fab and I especially love the last suggestion! If you think about it, it makes total sense as it will be half the price too! Thanks for sharing on #fortheloveofBLOG

February 13, 2017 / 8:42 pm

I know, why is the cinema so expensive these days?! X

3. February 11, 2017 / 8:25 pm

I think the effort of setting the table, candles and all is lovely. It just makes you pay attention to each other a little more #FortheloveofBlog

February 13, 2017 / 8:42 pm

Definitely, I love candles so any excuse! X

4. February 11, 2017 / 9:03 pm

The home picnic sounds like a great idea, that way you can actually have a convosation while eating.
    #fortheloveofBLOG

February 13, 2017 / 8:41 pm

Yes! One that isn’t interrupted by ‘don’t throw your cup on the floor again!’ Thank you for commenting x

5. February 11, 2017 / 10:35 pm

This will definitely be our Valentine’s evening and has been for the last 12 years! What’s the Rightmove game? I love Rightmove! #fortheloveofblog

February 13, 2017 / 8:40 pm

It’s amazing! Looking at houses you can’t afford and imagining how you’d decorate them! X

6. February 12, 2017 / 11:52 am

aww lovely ideas – and you’re so right – you don’t have to go out – love the idea of pizza in bed and movies – heaven! #fortheloveofBLOG

February 13, 2017 / 8:40 pm