Me & my brother

One day, at a time where sleepless nights are enough of a distant memory that I’ve forgotten what it’s like to walk around like a zombie everyday, but not far enough away that I’ll never want to do it again, we’d like to give Henry a brother or sister.

My brother was born when I was three, and I had quite an indifferent attitude to his arrival. After meeting him briefly I was more interested in going home to watch the Thomas the Tank Engine video (ah video, I feel so old!) that ‘baby Jack’ had ‘bought’ me.

Like all siblings we haven’t always got on amazingly, infact it’s a miracle he made it to his first year as a victim to his older sisters carelessness – standing on him to look out of the window and pulling over a shopping trolley with him in it are two of the favourite stories. I always saw him as my little brother, I was older so I thought I knew more and thought I was in charge. But we also had alot of fun, and my childhood wouldn’t have been the same without him, when we were partners in crime. Now we’re friends.

Our dad sadly passed away just before I was 15 and Jack was 11. So it was Jack who Carl told he was going to propose, and it was Jack who gave me away, delivering quite the speech at our wedding. He’s kind, funny and significantly less annoying than he was when we were younger. On the day he turned 25, Henry stole his birthday. He left work and shot down the M1 as soon as he heard I was in labour, despite knowing all he could do was hang around at my house until he could come and meet his new nephew. He’s an incredible uncle to Henry and a great by-product of having a baby is that I see my brother more than I have in years, despite living an hour apart.

My brother is the best gift our parents ever gave me, despite my younger protests, and that’s what I want for Henry.

Mum – don’t tell Jack I’ve written this, I’ve never told him and I need to keep face.

3 Little Buttons
Tammymum
Cuddle Fairy

1. January 25, 2017 / 9:15 am

This is such a wonderful post with lovely photos. Loved reading it, you seem to have such a bond with your brother and that’s lush to see #bloggerclubuk

January 29, 2017 / 9:24 pm

Thank you! x

2. January 25, 2017 / 5:17 pm

What a wonderful post, the power of the sibling bond is very strong, I’m sure Henry will find this too #bloggerclubUK

January 29, 2017 / 9:24 pm

Thank you! x

3. January 25, 2017 / 9:10 pm

‘My brother is the best gift my parents ever gave to me’. Oh this got me. My son has just gained a sibling after 3 years on his own. It’s fair to say he both ADORES her and really doesn’t too. It’s so lovely to read about a real and pretty lovely sibling relationship. Thank you for sharing it. #familyfun

January 29, 2017 / 9:23 pm

Oh congratulations! Thank you for commenting too! x

4. January 25, 2017 / 10:30 pm

Aww this is lovely! Love that he gave up his birthday to Henry. The photo from your wedding day is gorgeous! #DreamTeam

January 29, 2017 / 9:23 pm

Thank you and thank you for commenting x

5. January 25, 2017 / 10:46 pm

This is lovely Claire – such a softy really! Gorgeous picture of you both of your wedding day.
    It’s lovely to see the relationship you now have as adults and wonderful that having Henry has brought you closer. I think they were destined to have a special bond after Henry stole Jacks birthday! #bloggerclubuk

January 29, 2017 / 9:23 pm

Thank you! I know, me too! x

6. January 26, 2017 / 10:04 am

This is so lovely! Your brother’s response to you going into labour really made me smile – so sweet. I know what you mean about having a sibling. For good and bad, I can’t manage not having my sister. I really want a sibling for my daughter but my husband isn’t as convinced – the early days and my labour are still imprinted in his mind. But I’m hoping he’ll look past the short term and see what we’d be giving her. Hope you get the same for your family xx #FamilyFun

January 29, 2017 / 9:19 pm

Thank you for your comment! To be honest, I’m not ready just yet! My baby has only just turned one and I’m still experiencing the sleepless nights! x

7. January 26, 2017 / 2:42 pm

That’s so lovely! Ive been rather indifferent to my brother throughout my youth. Now we’re older we are in contact with each other a lot and it’s so worth it! He is my big brother and all is well!! ‪Thank you for linking up to the #familyfunlinky‬

8. January 27, 2017 / 12:53 pm

Awww, thats so sweet Claire. My Brother is 2 years younger to me and he too took an off When little one was born. He is precious to me. Happy to read this on Friday. #familyfun

January 29, 2017 / 9:03 pm

Thank you for your lovely comment and I’m glad you enjoyed! x

9. January 28, 2017 / 3:34 pm

This is such a gorgeous post. It’s really refreshing to read something about a sibling in relation to you wanting a sibling for your little boy. Big love to your brother! Mine lives abroad 😢 #familyfun

January 29, 2017 / 9:01 pm

Thank you for your lovely comment. I hope a perk of having a sibling abroad is free holidays? x