Chaos in the afternoon

It was far too chaotic to get a photo of them in the ball pool. So here they are probably plotting their ball pool attack on me.

A few weeks ago Henry had a whale of a time in a friends ball pool. He then spent a few minutes at soft play *shudder* in the ball pool. So on Monday I decided it would be a great idea to buy him his very own ball pool.

To be honest, my motivation for buying it was two fold; 1) It would be an interesting new toy for him to play with, new textures and shapes to explore and I can count the balls into the pool and split up the colours (I know he’s only 7 months old but there’s only so much nonsense one sided conversation I can muster. A prop helps). 2) It’s portable and has sides so would keep him occupied and in one place for a few minutes so I could have a drink or make lunch. Or so I thought….

I came home filled with the excitement at the prospect of a lovely afternoon at home. I’d sit on the floor with a coffee – I’d even break my one-coffee-a-day rule and treat myself to a second- and we’d ‘splash’ around, generally having a ball (sorry).

So in an attempt to make my naive vision a reality, I came home, made a coffee and set about erecting the ball pool. For the first minute or so, my vision became a reality, aside from the fact there were only thirty balls, so not many to splash. Then the feral pug jumped in, which Henry actually quite enjoyed. Then she stole a ball and jumped out. I set about trying to retrieve the ball and in the meantime somehow Henry Houdini managed to climb out. I sat him back and he climbed out again. Not a bad skill for a seven month old to be fair so I gave in. I got a few balls out for him to chase, which the feral pug clearly found irresistible.  Once again I tried to retrieve a ball from the pug while simultaneously trying to keep half an eye on Henry, clearly the wrong half an eye because somehow he got himself stuck under the sofa. The dog still chasing balls I lifted the sofa to retrieve the baby, who couldn’t work out that he could remove himself from the sofa by lowering his head in the same way he must’ve done to get under.

Then to top it all off, the feral pug knocked over my coffee. Almost a full coffee, everywhere. If that wasn’t inconvenient enough Henry crawled through it before I could wipe it all up.

We didn’t even manage an afternoon of ball pool fun. This all took about 25 minutes to unfold and I think both Henry and my bank account would’ve been happier with just the balls, loose around the living room. Maybe while feral pug is occupied by our neighbour….

Post Comment Love
Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday

1. September 9, 2016 / 9:05 pm

Oh dear, sounds like a you’ve been framed kind of moment. We bought my daughter a ball pool for her birthday and apparently the best game is throwing all the balls out! Considering we needed 600 balls to make it half way decent it takes more time to put it all away than it actually gets played with. Thankfully our dogs steered clear!
    #PoCoLo

September 11, 2016 / 7:20 pm

Thank you for your comment! Your dogs are probably much better trained than mine, she’s not a great example of my parenting skills! x

2. September 9, 2016 / 9:05 pm

hahaha! Oh dear! This did make me chuckle….The thought was there at least x

3. September 11, 2016 / 7:24 am

Oh dear! Sounds like a bit of a disaster…I wonder how much ball pools go for on EBay?! #KCACOLS

September 11, 2016 / 7:15 pm

Haha, not that much, an it takes up my whole living room! Nevermind! Thank you for commenting! x

4. September 11, 2016 / 2:35 pm

Great. Making his own games up at 7 months. Love it!

5. September 12, 2016 / 10:56 am

Sounds like your pug and your boy make a good team when it comes to creating chaos. Thanks for linking up to #KCACOLS Hope to see you again next week.

Nadia – ScandiMummy x

September 16, 2016 / 10:06 pm

Thank you! They are quite the gruesome twosome! x

6. September 14, 2016 / 11:09 pm

Totally know the 30 ball disappointment!! We had a ball pool for my son when he was around the same age (now it sits in the closet with the balls scattered round the house). I was so excited to see him splashing and playing with a ton of balls, and was so sad when there weren’t many at all. And, don’t you know? Throwing the balls out is the best part! #KCACOLS

September 16, 2016 / 10:00 pm

Our’s is now in a cupboard but I’m still finding balls everywhere. Now they’re out of the pool they seem to be multiplying! x

7. September 16, 2016 / 9:03 pm

Oh my, that sounds exhausting and very stressful. I’d need a coffee too – thanks for linking to #PoCoLo X

September 16, 2016 / 9:47 pm

Thank you! x

8. September 16, 2016 / 9:10 pm

Haha! Sorry to hear that your afternoon wasn’t as blissful as you’d planned. And those ball pools really don’t come with enough balls! #KCACOLS

September 16, 2016 / 9:47 pm

They don’t! But yet I’m still finding balls everywhere! Thank you for commenting! x

9. September 17, 2016 / 12:56 am

Oh dear! Sounds like a bit of a disaster sorry your afternoon didn’t go to plan. 😭

10. September 17, 2016 / 2:54 pm

Oh hun I feel for you. I remember getting a ball pool, but we bought extra balls and filled the thing. I reckon if you could occupy your feral pug you could get that peaceful (almost) coffee. 🙂
    Thanks for linking to #pocolo xx

September 19, 2016 / 6:50 pm

If only I could occupy the feral pug! She causes as much chaos as the baby! Thank you for commenting and hosting! x