This dress is too short for mumlife

Processed with VSCO with f2 presetI’ve always been quite partial to a skirt or dress, call me a floozy if you wish but I also like a short hemline. That is until I became a mum.

After I had Henry, my first wear of an old favourite mini dress last approximately 25 minutes before it was removed and replaced with what has become my uniform of jeans and a t-shirt.

Obviously feeling brave after reacquainting myself with a bum skimming dress on a baby free night out, I chose a Saturday to introduce my rekindled flame to my new life as a mum, a day with a co-parent so as to ease us in gently. What I found was that this little dress complicated my day in the following ways:

1) Getting Henry in and out of the car was difficult. I can normally be found putting Henry into the car seat bent over, bum sticking out of the car door. Wearing a dress meant this normally simple exercise had to be much more considered. So as not to give the street an eyeful I had to balance precariously on the 10cm of seat not occupied by the car seat, trying not to suffocate Henry with my hair. This also put my hair at a grab-able distance and prising my hair from Hen’s hands while not flashing my derriere was quite a task.

2) Instead of bending over carelessly when objects were dropped from the pushchair, which happens ALOT, I had to kneel down in a fashion similar to that which is taught in manual handling training, but legs together so as to remain dignified trying to maintain balance. The whole picking up objects, or picking up baby thing had to be much more considered and I don’t think I appreciated what a luxury it was not to have to bend over 78,654 times a day.

3) Sitting in a dress with a baby on your knee causes the dress to ride up. Especially when said baby is a fidget. It’s also hard to adjust the dress with the baby on you knee so the bottom of the dress ending up around your waist is inevitable.

I returned home and immediately changed out of the dress. Considering how not to flash my bum is a consideration I don’t need in my already very considered day. For now I have accepted that mum life and short skirts don’t mix.

However I do feel like these Topshop loafers are too good not to mention, which I picked up for the bargain price of £29. Super comfy and compatible with motherhood. Winning.

Have you had to banish any items of your wardrobe in favour of motherhood? Do you dress differently?

Mummuddlingthrough
Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday

1. September 8, 2016 / 8:48 am

BOOOO! It’s such a lovely dress, what with about super thick black tights to take it through to winter? Loving the loafers, I’m in the market for sensible yet stylish mum shoes so will check TS out! xx #coolmumclub

September 11, 2016 / 7:32 pm

Super thick black tights might work! Cover up my pastey whites too! Thank you for commenting! x

2. September 8, 2016 / 10:37 am

Add a pair of leggings and you’ll be stylish and not flash your pants. That’s my method anyway. I am starting to wear skirts more after 4 years in jeans. It’s nice to be able to do that again now my youngest is 3 1/2! xx #coolmumclub

September 11, 2016 / 7:27 pm

Good idea, Winter tights will make it more wearable too, no bum flashing! x

3. September 8, 2016 / 1:52 pm

I have had to banish so many items particular skirts and dresses which just seem short now that hips are wider and they seem to flash my knickers at the world #mumproblems! Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub lovely x

September 11, 2016 / 7:26 pm

Thank you for hosting and for commenting! I’m going to make it my mission to find a mumlife friendly dress, I miss them! x

4. September 12, 2016 / 9:52 am

I’ve mentioned this a few times in my style posts. As much as I love a short skirt or dress, it just doesn’t work when you’re a mum. I never realised how much bending over was involved with being a mum! x #KCACOLS

September 16, 2016 / 10:08 pm

Neither did I! Not even until I couldn’t bend with ease! x

5. September 12, 2016 / 10:50 am

I think you look fab and love the shoes and bag too. Great outfit. Thanks for joining #KCACOLS Hope you’ll come back next Sunday.

Nadia – ScandiMummy x

September 16, 2016 / 10:07 pm

Thank you very much! x

6. September 14, 2016 / 11:21 pm

Well, number one, I absolutely LOVE that dress on you, so I hope you don’t toss it. A couple of weeks ago, I found a new dress on clearance, and HAD to get it. It was soooo adorable, and I am absolutely in love with it. Last weekend, we had a really warm day and, with this dress being particularly short, I thought it the perfect opportunity to show the dress off. If only I’d seen your post before then…

I DID flash my behind during the whole carseat ordeal, haha.
    Hopefully no one saw-I was too mortified to turn around!! #KCACOLS

September 16, 2016 / 9:59 pm

Thank you very much! Haha, at least I’m not the only one! I’m sure you looked incredible though! x

7. September 15, 2016 / 8:25 am

I didn’t wear many skirts anyway, but when I do the boy finds it irresistable to pull up or attempt to hide under! 😀 #KCACOLS

September 16, 2016 / 9:58 pm

I’m sure there will come a time where they’re being pulled up. We have such fun to look forward to don’t we? Thank you for commenting x

8. September 15, 2016 / 3:23 pm

See, that’s a lovely outfit! Too nice to leave in your wardrobe. With autumn coming, opaque tights or leggings and you’ll be good to go!! #KCACOLS

September 16, 2016 / 9:57 pm

Thank you! It was hot that day but maybe I will try again with tights! x

9. September 15, 2016 / 6:32 pm

I miss my dresses too! On the rare occasion I do wear one it has to be roughly knee length now. I do have a shorter denim skirt and to get the youngest safely in the car I climb in with her and stand in the back so I don’t flash my knickers to the world and his wife…. It’s quite an art form.
    #KCACOLS

September 16, 2016 / 9:56 pm

Any skirts I invest in from now will be midi I think! Thank you for commenting! x

10. September 16, 2016 / 9:07 pm

TIghts or leggings and ta-dah bum flashing incident avoided! I’ve had to banish necklaces from my wardrobe. But ugh the hair grabbing is the worst! #KCACOLS

September 16, 2016 / 9:47 pm

The hair grabbing is painful. As is face grabbing! x