Cleaning Up My Act

zoflora white
Babies are born without fear. While this must be a lovely state of being, going about their business with reckless abandon, for their parents it’s a little more worrisome. Gone are the days where I could plonk Hen under the playmat while I ate my lunch – avocado on toast errryday – confident that he’d not only be entertained, but also stationary. Oh a simpler time…*sigh*. Henry has now pretty much perfected the crawl and he’s unnervingly quick so I’ve been thinking about ways to make the house a little safer.

I don’t really like the term ‘baby proofing’. This is Henry’s home and I don’t want to Henry proof it. And my days can be busy enough – I haven’t got time to be locking myself out of my own cupboards. While I definitely won’t be leaving knives lying around on the floor, for now I’m going to stick to good ol’ fashioned ‘keeping an eye on him’. I’m fully aware that when we progress to walking I may eat these very words.

What I have decided though, is to stop leaving sh*t everywhere. And maybe wash the floor once in a while. This way, Henry can crawl around ’til his heart’s content and I don’t have to worry about him picking up stones or bits of stale bread that the feral pug has brought in from the neighbours garden. Limiting the trouble he can get into to just; trying to climb the bottom step, putting his fingers in the plug sockets, trying to nibble the rug, getting stuck under the sofa or sticking his tongue in my Baies candle (to be fair it smells incredible) keeps my blood pressure at a relatively safe level. I can alleviate these worries by watching him.

As well as picking up stray objects that a devil-may-care seven-month-old could get into a pickle with, for now I decided that keeping our floors clean would be enough ‘baby proofing’. Zoflora* very kindly sent me two bottles of disinfectant to do just that. Both ‘Green Valley’ and ‘Twilight Garden’ tickled my fancy and our house was left smelling like I’d had a candle burning, which is a luxury left for the evening these days.

The only other change for now is a line of cushions covering the edge of the fireplace to avoid the smacking of any excited little heads.

What are your thoughts on baby proofing?

*PR Sample

Mudpie Fridays
Tammymum

1. September 6, 2016 / 2:06 pm

We’re at the stage now where Lewis is crawling, he’s also decided that wires are the best play thing ever! I can’t be bothered to spend ages and a fortune baby proofing everything so am going to be doing the keeping an eye on him route too. That said I’ve had to be much more careful about what is left on the floor or within arms reach whilst in the baby walker. I may even have to *shudder* get the hoover out at some point soon.

September 7, 2016 / 8:19 pm

What is it with babies and wires?! Or really anything they shouldn’t have! Thank you for commenting! I hate hoovering too! x

2. September 7, 2016 / 7:55 am

I have a two year old, and aside from stair gates and a baby proof thing on the under the sink cupboard, we didn’t go in for baby proofing. My son is very clingy and it’s very rare that we’re not in the same room together! He’s very good at not putting things in his mouth that aren’t food, and generally pretty good at not getting himself into too much trouble though, so if I had a climber I might have done things differently! #familyfun

September 7, 2016 / 8:18 pm

Thank you for your comment! He does put everything in his mouth but hopefully keeping stray objects out of reach will be ok! We’ll see! x

3. September 7, 2016 / 11:46 am

I NEVER had to proof that bad with my two older girls. The usual but nothing crazy. With the twins- OMG- we live in a damn fortress!

#BloggerUKClub

September 7, 2016 / 8:15 pm

Haha! I already need eyes in the back of my head so we’ll see how I go! Thank you for commenting! x

4. September 7, 2016 / 12:27 pm

I think, to some extent, it’s good for babies to learn boundaries. If you move everything out of their grasp, they’ll never learn that there are some things they’re not allowed to touch. This philosophy landed me in a 3 month battle with my (then) 10mth old baby who insisted on pulling all the DVDs off the shelf. But we were consistent and moved her away each time, explaining that the DVDs needed to stay on the shelf. It took a while but she got it eventually. And now she knows that just because something is out, it doesn’t mean that she can play with it. #BloggerClubUK

September 7, 2016 / 8:14 pm

This is exactly my train of thought. We’ll see how I go though! Thank you for commenting! x

5. September 7, 2016 / 7:38 pm

We’ve gone down the same route as you, not really baby proofing just trying to be a bit more tidy and watchful! Until he climbs on to the dining room table and on to the windowsill! Man my kid can climb! You really do have to anticipate their everymoves. Thankfully we have a bit of a galley house so I can be in the kitchen and see him playing with the plug sockets on the other side of the house!! Thanks for linking up to #FamilyFun. Hope you can come back next week!

September 7, 2016 / 8:13 pm

Haha, that will definitely be Henry, he has mischief written all over his cheeky little face! THank you for hosting and thank you for your comment! x

6. September 8, 2016 / 10:49 am

I think we have a half and half approach, we have so say baby proofed parts of the house with stair gates, fire guards and squidgy covers on sharp covers but not all our cupboards have locks and we don’t have plug socket cover things. I have two – a two year old and a one year old so I find it hard to have my eyes on them both 100% of the time… that being said so far so good and no major accidents as yet, TOUCH WOOD. Thanks agin for joining us at #familyfun. Really hope to see you again next week xx

7. September 8, 2016 / 12:23 pm

i think i did a bit of baby proofing, but the little mites will always find something they shouldnt be touching. you just get used to saying ‘dont touch that’ or ‘dont put that in your mouth’ with alarming frequency #bloggerclubuk

8. September 9, 2016 / 2:10 pm

I remember this stage well – we literally just moved anything that could be broken, eaten or climbed! It made things so much easier as I didn’t have to constantly panic that our daughter was always up to no good if I wasn’t right there with her. I think basic common sense prevails! x #BloggerClubUK

September 11, 2016 / 7:24 pm

Thank you for commenting. Anything that could be eaten definitely has to go, everything goes to his mouth! x