When a day out turns into an epic mum fail.

Adults looking a little more impressed than the babies.

Adults looking a little more impressed than the babies.

This morning I woke up feeling pretty darn perky. The sun was shining, I’d just had six glorious hours of uninterrupted slumber after a few tricky nights and I’d just had an email confirming my long overdue and quite sizable Topshop order had been dispatched.
Even finding we’d run out of milk, thus leaving me without my morning coffee fix couldn’t dampen my spirits.

Henry and I were heading to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park with my impossibly chic friend Hannah and her 13-month-old, my beautiful goddaughter. I was confident it was going to be a good day. I imagined a lovely walk in the sunshine with a side of coffee, a girly catch up and a little playtime on the grass for the babes to stretch their legs – because we all know it’s such a hard life being a baby.

What actually happened was a stark contrast to my idealistic vision. Unbeknown to us we’d parked in the ‘yellow car park’ so we had to navigate two pushchairs through several gates and sheep filled fields in order to get into the park. When we bought our pushchair we watched a lovely demonstration video about how the wheels were suited to all types of surface and would handle the even roughest of terrain with ease. Well let me tell you – that is a lie. Or it was not tested in the sheep fields on the outskirts of the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. Funny that.

Henry didn’t appreciate the bumpy ride and started to whinge. But it was ok, nothing a enthusiastic rendition of ‘Five Little Ducks’ couldn’t fix. We asked a refined looking man if he knew where the cafe was. He said it was behind… something – a word beginning with ‘a’ that I’ve never heard before.  We said thank you, smiled and nodded though still non the wiser and continued along. The refined looking man must have been referring to a tunnel because when we emerged out of it the cafe was in sight.

Lunch was lovely and chatter filled until a code brown situation brought it to an abrupt end.  The baby change was full so, sensing time was of the essence we found a quiet spot… but it was too late. Henry was covered in an explosion of poo; up his back, down his arms….obviously on the day I forgot to bring a spare outfit. He’s naked on the grass, trying to roll around, feet in the grass, hands in the poo, trying to put both his hands and his feet in his mouth… Any tips on how to keep an increasingly mobile baby still while having a nappy change are welcome. Feeling like a complete failure of a mother I put him back in the pushchair in his nappy and – trying to preserve his modesty – his jacket, and set back off walking. Clearly unimpressed he became increasingly upset, as I would be if I were to be paraded through a public park in my underwear. So back in the sheep fields we are, I’m covered in sweat and a little out of breath panting my way through ‘Five Little Ducks’ (which I’m not sure went swimming in the correct numerical order) trying not to look nervous walking past a herd of sheep, one of which has quite an aggressive ‘baa’ and is stamping its feet.

Not happy in there Hen?

Not happy in there Hen?

Eventually, after feeling pretty stressed we got back to the car. What I learned today is that rough terrain and babies make for a chaotic combo.

As a side note, how fabulous is Hannah’s outfit? If you’re ooking for outfit inspiration, beauty recommendations or just a great read, check out her blog, Cagney and Lace.

Post Comment Love

A Mum Track Mind
Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday

1. August 5, 2016 / 7:50 am

Nightmare! Mind you, I’ve always fancied trying out the sculpture park. We pass it on our way up north…But hey, despite the chaotic day, unlike me, you’re still young enough to buy clothes at Topshop! Whoop! #PoCoLo

August 6, 2016 / 10:32 am

I’d like to go back one day and hopefully have a less stressful experience! It was still a good day but fewer tears would’ve been nice! x

2. August 5, 2016 / 3:01 pm

Aaaw. I think we’ve all had days like that. It can be so stressful! My baby once managed to have a nappy explosion on our way to look at a new house and we’d forgotten the changing bag. We had to borrow some tissues from the home owners and carry her around the house wrapped up in my husband’s jumper! Oops! #PoCoLo

August 6, 2016 / 10:30 am

Whoops! A good way to make an impression! It happens to us all doesn’t it! Thank you for your comment! X

3. August 5, 2016 / 6:40 pm

I remember accidents like this! SO much so that now even if my son is already 6 I still feel the need to bring so many items!

#pocolo

August 6, 2016 / 10:29 am

I’ll definitely try and be more prepared in future! Thank you for commenting! X

4. August 6, 2016 / 8:16 am

Oh I can really feel your pain. It’s almost as if they time nappy explosions/projectile vomits for when they know you are not quite as prepared normal!! Bless them #fortheloveofblog

August 6, 2016 / 10:27 am

Yes! I swear babies have a sixth sense! Like when they cry just as you’re about it have a hot drink! Thank you for commenting! X

5. August 6, 2016 / 1:36 pm

I think we have all had this kind of day a few times. I am sure babies know you have no change of clothes for them and think, “ha this will be funny”.

August 6, 2016 / 6:31 pm

They definitely do! Sometimes he even giggles afterwards! Thank you for commenting! x

6. August 7, 2016 / 12:13 am

Looks like a lovely day out almost perfect! No cure for the wiggling babies, I swear they know when were unprepared, the little monsters 🙂

August 8, 2016 / 2:55 pm

They must do! Thank you for your comment! x

7. August 7, 2016 / 10:09 am

Oh such a nightmare – the epic poonami and wriggly child!! I love the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, my brother had his wedding reception there last year and it was just beautiful. Unfortunately I have no advice to offer on the wriggliness and still battle with my 15 month old now…Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday xx

August 8, 2016 / 2:53 pm

Thank you for your comment! Lovely isn’t it? I’m going to give it another go and hope it’s a more successful trip! I bet it would be a beautiful wedding venue! x

8. August 7, 2016 / 12:14 pm

I am pretty sure that it is a global conspiracy between babies everywhere to not only refuse to lie still when you are trying to change their nappies but to make it difficult on a whole new level when they are covered, from head to toe, in poo!!! we have had so many epic fails on this level…usually as when Mummy has forgotten a change of clothes….ooopsi! We put both our boys in pull ups as soon as we could find them in their size…think they start at a size 3….SO much easier! #KCACOLS

August 8, 2016 / 2:52 pm

Oh maybe I’ll give that a try! Nappy changing was much easier before he was mobile. Sometimes it’s a two man job but I’m normally solo – I need 4 arms! x

9. August 7, 2016 / 1:56 pm

Oh dear what a nightmare! I remembered days like this, one time in a restaurant… didn’t even bring spare clothes, we end up going home with a naked baby with only it’s blanket on. We learned from that experience though. #KCACOLS

August 8, 2016 / 2:51 pm

I suppose it has to happen to teach us to be more prepared! I won’t make that mistake again! Thank you for your comment! x

10. August 7, 2016 / 4:34 pm

#fortheloveofblog I have been in the’poo’situation many times and feel your pain. We have just been on a family day out to watch an airshow and it went totally wrong. God loves a trier 🙂

August 8, 2016 / 2:47 pm

At least they make for interesting stories! Thank you for your comment! x

11. August 8, 2016 / 6:39 pm

Oh my goodness, I know that must’ve been a seriously stressful situation!!! It’s always the worst times that I forget spare clothes as well, or worse, wipes! Boy, I’m glad you all got out okay, and with a fun story to tell 😛 Thanks for sharing! <3 #KCACOLS

August 9, 2016 / 8:45 pm

Thank you! Every cloud has a silver lining! x

12. August 8, 2016 / 10:17 pm

Ohhh no! Things like this always happen on the one day you forget to pack spare clothes!xx #fortheloveofBLOG

August 9, 2016 / 8:43 pm

Typical isn’t it?! x

13. August 9, 2016 / 4:45 am

Oh man, I can totally relate to your terrible day after the expectation of little cherub babies playing and moms sipping their (hot!) coffee. Never seems to go as planned. Have also been in many a code brown situations, but it never gets any easier! I feel for you, I really do!
    #KCACOLS
    Tori @ The Mama Nurse

August 9, 2016 / 8:43 pm

Thank you, it’s reassuring to hear I’m not the only one! x

14. August 9, 2016 / 1:31 pm

At least you had a nice lunch, or most of a lunch. Everybody has a story like this at some time. Usually it’s followed up by a bag of spare clothes being thrown in the back seat of the car for future emergencies. Can’t be too prepared! #KCACOLS

August 9, 2016 / 8:38 pm

Good idea! THank you for your comment!

15. August 10, 2016 / 9:17 am

It’s like babies know when you haven’t brought a spare change of clothes out – this happened to me all the time when my boys were younger! Still at least you managed to have a nice lunch! #KCACOLS

August 11, 2016 / 9:39 pm

Thank you! Very true! It was still a good day! x

16. August 11, 2016 / 7:02 pm

What a nightmare, these days are set to try us, but we always get through them! I’ve had many a code brown situation where I’ve even ended up covered in it on my jumper in a pub. The weather looks gorgeous and it looks like the place you went to was beautiful, even though it was a bit bumpy. You will look back at this day and laugh, these are the type of days that you will always remember. Thanks so much for sharing a second post at #fortheloveofBLOG. Claire x

August 11, 2016 / 9:27 pm

It did make for a funny story, and it was still a great day! THank you for your comment! x

17. August 12, 2016 / 11:19 pm

I’m sure we all have days like these, times when we wish we could go back and start all over again. Kids have a knack for pooing everywhere the one time you forget spare clothing don’t they? #kcacols