Happy Birthday to Henry. Happy Birthed-day to me.

IBaby with ballonAs you’ll know if you read my last post,  this week we celebrated our little Hen’s first birthday, and I couldn’t resist a glass of prosecco to celebrate that Carl and I had successfully parented for a whole year. And I figured that this time last year, a prosecco might have taken the edge off a very long labour. So I owed it to my birthing self of a year prior to toast not only Henry’s birthday, but my birth-ed day. Justification right there, should ever I need it.

Anyway, I thought I’d share a few of the things I’ve learnt after 365 days of playing the mum game:

1. Age old advice, but EVERYTHING IS A PHASE. I know it doesn’t help when you’ve not hoovered for a month and the blinds are sporting an inch thick layer of dust (who am I kidding, I’ve never cleaned blinds in my life) because your child has lost the ability to nap, but it’s true. Unfortunately good phases are still also phases. Four month sleep trickster, I’m looking at you.
  2. Do what works at the time, regardless of what anyone else says.  We’re currently co-sleeping (following Lullaby Trust guidelines). I’m aware that at some point it will become an issue, but at the moment we’re all getting more sleep, which means we’re all happier. You may be told you’re ‘making a rod for your own back’, but motherhood is blooming hard work and sometimes I need that rod to lean on.Trust your instincts, have confidence in your decision and move on.
  3. A new dawn is a new day. Yesterday might have been a washout. You’ve been sicked on, snotted on, pooed on and achieved nothing more than wiping off said excrement with a baby wipe, but tomorrow could be incredible. (Parenting) Life is a Rollercoaster -ahh wise words Ronan.
  4. Cutting little nails, cleaning first teeth and navigating a busy supermarket with a baby who’s on the wrong side of peckish all make you feel like you could play The Cube and win. Take your victories, however small.
  5. Hormones have ALOT to answer for.  Y’all know the ones I’m talking about. The ones that make you wail to your husband that you miss him WHILE HE’S SITTING RIGHT NEXT TO YOU.
  6. Words spoken in the depths of sleep deprivation should be taken with a pinch of salt. Daddy: she doesn’t really think life is easier when you’re at work. Mummy: he doesn’t really wish he’d stayed at work. Hopefully not anyway.
  7. Accept that you will never wee alone, enjoy a hot beverage, sleep more than four to six consecutive hours, use an escalator, or any of these things my lovely friend Becky has listed in this hilarious post anytime in the near future. Then, if you do ever manage any you’ll have a whole new appreciation for them. Using an escalator is like Disney Land to me now….
  8. Despite any challenges our offspring might throw our way, the joy they bring you is immeasurable and there is no problem in the world feels like it can’t be appeased by seeing your baby smile.

So I’m sure I’ve missed a few parenting words of wisdom, as a year does not an expert make. Do you have any to share?

Mummuddlingthrough

Diary of an imperfect mum
Twin Mummy and Daddy
A Mum Track Mind

1. January 19, 2017 / 12:51 pm

You are a wise mum! And yes hormones do have a lot to answer for. I’m still answering to them three years on – argh! Thanks so much for linking up to #coolmumclub lovely xoxo

January 22, 2017 / 10:53 pm

Haha, that’s the first time I’ve been called wise! Thank you! x

2. January 19, 2017 / 2:09 pm

Happy birthday little Henry #coolmumclub

January 22, 2017 / 10:53 pm

Thank you! x

3. January 19, 2017 / 8:58 pm

Happy birthday little Henry! That first year is a real learning curve isn’t it? #coolmumclub

January 22, 2017 / 10:54 pm

Isn’t it just?! I’ve thought of a few more since too! x

4. January 20, 2017 / 6:08 am

Such excellent notions 🙂 we’ve been there and done it all!!! And for the record – we cosleep with our baby…..
    And our toddler… and lately the 8 year old too LOL he asked the other day what size comes after king because with the 5 of us it just isn’t quite big enough. But, like you, I enjoy sleep and I get more of it this way. And really, do you care if your kid doesn’t go to college
    Because he can’t go to bed without you? ;). Our now 8 year old transitioned well to his own bed in his own time. He was around 5. So I agree whole heartedly when you say make your own choice be okay with it.

January 22, 2017 / 10:55 pm

Thank you for your lovely comment. To be honest, apart from being woken up by being kicked in the head, or headbutted in the nose, I quite like it! x

5. January 20, 2017 / 10:42 am

Great post. We still battle with our two sneaking into our bed. We bribe, we cry, we hunger for a full night’s sleep.
    #ThatFridayLinky

January 22, 2017 / 10:56 pm

I think I’ve come to accept that I’ll be permanently tired for the forseeable! Thank you for your comment!

6. January 20, 2017 / 12:31 pm

Brilliant advice particularly 8. Thank you for linking up to #ablogginggoodtime 🎉

January 22, 2017 / 10:56 pm

Thank you, and thank you for your comment x

7. January 20, 2017 / 5:05 pm

Happy Birthday Henry!
    Great post! I couldn’t agree with you more. It’s brilliant to know that you and carl have the same sleep deprivation arguments that me and Ryan have! I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve told him life’s easier when he’s at work!! Our poor men!
    Muchas gracias on the mention 😍
    #ThatFridayLinky

January 22, 2017 / 10:57 pm

You’re welcome! Yeh it’s good to know we’re not alone! x

8. January 21, 2017 / 9:00 am

Happy Birthday Henry and well done Mummy and Daddy. I don’t have any tips and I am still learning 4 years later. I guess I would say that to accept some days everything will go wrong. Don’t worry about it, the next day is a new day! #FortheloveofBLOG

January 22, 2017 / 10:58 pm

Tomorrow is a new day is what I live by! Although some days I have a great day and I’m excited for the next. Then the next is full of tantrums – oh the disappointment! x

9. January 22, 2017 / 12:18 am

Happy birth day Henry! It’s amazing how quickly that first year flies by. Thanks for linking up to #ThatFridayLinky

January 22, 2017 / 10:58 pm

Thank you! x

10. Nige
    January 22, 2017 / 10:05 am

Happy birthday Henry one of our twins is in our bed every night and she is nearly five super post Thanks for linking to the #THAT FRIDAY LINKY come back next week please

January 22, 2017 / 10:58 pm

Thank you! I will!

11. January 22, 2017 / 6:37 pm

aw happy birthday and birth-ed day! the year goes so quick really doesn’t it. and like you say, you realise things are just a phase. ups and downs. I find that now at 3. good days and bad. #fortheloveofblog

January 22, 2017 / 10:58 pm

Thank you! X

12. January 22, 2017 / 8:22 pm

Great post !! My little girl has just turned one aswell what a crazy first year it is . I so agree with do what works best for
    You we ended up co-sleeping just so I got some sleep and don’t regret it at all . Thank you for linking up #fortheloveofBLOG

January 22, 2017 / 10:59 pm

The only problem is that now I can’t face spending all night trying to keep him in his own bed. I also quite like having him with me now, other than being woken up in a sometimes violent manner! x

13. January 22, 2017 / 9:40 pm

Aww happy birthday Henry and birthed day to you! Ahh you learn a lot in that first year and the you forget it all, have another baby and then learn it all over again!xx #fortheloveofblog

January 22, 2017 / 11:00 pm

Haha, if we didn’t forget we’d never do it again would we?! Thank you for your comment! x