Hello 2017

Beautiful sceneAlthough we’re only a week in to the new year, having read everyone’s New Year posts I’m feeling pretty late to the table but I’m going to type away regardless.

Despite it’s bad rep, 2016 was pretty good for me. It saw the birth of our beautiful baby boy in January, which then allowed me to spend a blissful *most of the time * year at his beck and call, tending to his every whim and generally watching him grow into the strong-willed, cheeky and affectionate (poking and hair pulling aside) almost-one-year-old he is now. Not only that, but Mummy and Daddy made it through an entire year without killing each other and we’re now immersed in parenthood and have never been happier.

So I was a little sad to wave goodbye to the most memorable, life changing and intense year of my life, but I’m all about looking to the future and I’m quietly hopeful that 2017 won’t turn out so bad. Here’s what I’m going to be embracing this year –

1. Less is more. This is the year I’m going to *attempt* to be a little more frugal. I’m an undeniable shopaholic. Carl says that I’ve not had a good day if I’ve not spent any money and he’s not far wrong. I like to by STUFF. Any stuff. But mainly clothes, shoes, bags and make-up. This year I want to declutter, and focus more on experiences. I think the money could be better spent on family days out making memories and so that’s what I plan to do. Also, no doubt thrilled at the prospect of my new found penny pinching Carl happily joined me in watching this documentary which I’d definitely recommend. Aspects were a little extreme but the jist is that we’re always trying to achieve happiness by buying stuff, which doesn’t help so we buy more stuff etc, etc. By only possessing what we need we focus more on things that will truly make us happy. Which leads me on my next read – Spark Joy is on it’s way to me right now… I am aware of the ridiculousness that is buying an item in order to read about not needing so many items so we’ll call it research and move on…
  2. Following on from the above, I want to find a hobby that is not buying clothes, shoes and make-up. Carl very kindly gifted me a new camera for Christmas and I’m enjoying getting snap happy at every opportunity. I’m trying to learn how to take a good picture. I’m also keen to try my hand at flower arranging, inspired by this beautiful book which was a gift from my friend Hannah for Christmas.
  3. Not to bore others with my indecision. I’m going to try not to over analyse every situation, forcing anyone who’ll listen into doing the same. I knew I’d gone to far when I found myself explaining one predicament to the poor lady on the checkout at Asda. Instead, I’m going to try and trust my gut and roll with the punches.

So there we go. They are my thoughts for the new year. Do you believe in resolutions?

Marvellous Mondays badge by Hello Archie
Tammymum
Diary of an imperfect mum

1. January 8, 2017 / 8:47 pm

Less is definitely more. Ive had to declutter and downsize as I’m now back living with family but it’s been so therapeutic getting rid of unused and unwanted stuff! I’m trying it embrace a more minimalistic lifestyle! But still guilty of the occasional charity shop binge aha!

January 16, 2017 / 10:48 pm

Thank you for your comment! It’s a hard habit to break isn’t it?! I’ve stuck to it so far though! C

2. January 9, 2017 / 9:35 am

Agree with the year. Think it went bad politically, but great personally! Our little one also born last Jan and have loved watching him grow #Marvmondays

January 16, 2017 / 10:47 pm

Ahh! Happy birthday to your little oneN x

3. January 11, 2017 / 3:10 pm

Lovely round up of your year and what a gorgeous picture. I had a similar year, it was pretty good personally but politically it was awful! #familyfun

January 16, 2017 / 10:46 pm

Yeh, we’ll skip past the political
      stuff! X

4. January 11, 2017 / 6:07 pm

I like to buy stuff. Namely clothes. Whoops. I must admit through my biggest spend is definietly holidays and experiences. This had always been the case iv just had to adapt the type of holiday now… I can’t see that spend habit changing though. Anyway good luck with your hobby and less buying of stuff and look forward to hear how you get on. Thanks for joining us at #familyfun x

January 16, 2017 / 10:46 pm

Thank you! So far it’s going well but we’ok see! X

5. January 11, 2017 / 7:10 pm

Best of luck with achieving your goals! Improving my photography was my goal this time last year and I’m amazed at how much progress I’ve made in a year. I reckon this time next year you’ll have the bug! I loved my son at that age too – seeing their personalities develop is just the best thing! Have a wonderful 2017! #FamilyFun

January 16, 2017 / 10:45 pm

Ahhh! Thank you! Your pictures are beautiful so that gives me great hope! X

6. January 11, 2017 / 9:17 pm

Trying to spend less is definitely what I am trying to this year lol. Photography sounds really good, you will have some great pictures to remember great moments.
    #FamilyFun

January 16, 2017 / 10:44 pm

A useful hobby isn’t it?! Thank you for your comment! X

7. January 12, 2017 / 5:40 am

Never too late to say happy new year and join the band wagon! I’ve not really made any resolutions but I suppose I have in a way as I want to dedicate myself to my son a bit more!! Good luck with yours and Thanks for linking up to #familyfun

January 16, 2017 / 10:43 pm

Thank you! Good luck with yours x

8. January 12, 2017 / 10:33 am

I would so love to declutter and learn to be more frugal too. I hope you can stick to these and have a lovely 2017. Can’t believe your little man is nearly 1!xx #ablogginggoodtime

January 16, 2017 / 10:42 pm

I know! Me either! I wish you and your beautiful family a happy 2017 too! X

9. January 13, 2017 / 12:36 pm

I definitely need to join you on the. It over analysing front! Good luck with your resolutions. Thank you for linking up to #ablogginggoodtime 🎉

10. January 14, 2017 / 11:24 pm

I agree, despite the craziness that was 2016, it was not a bad year! I got the hubs Spark Joy for Christmas and have to say its a game changer. I love it, better still, he loves it and has completely embraced it which is great as our home has never looked as clutter free as it does now. Hopefully you enjoy it too! Thanks for linking up to #MarvMondays. Emily

January 16, 2017 / 10:37 pm

Thank you! And thank you for hosting. I’m a few pages in and although I haven’t had time to declutter yet I don’t think I’ve ever been as excited to tidy! X

11. January 16, 2017 / 7:49 pm

#marvmonday this is so honest and I’m going to watch the documentary tomorrow when I have ‘me to night’
    I love this, wishing you the best 2017

January 16, 2017 / 10:35 pm

Thank you for your lovely comment! @35 me know what you think, I found it really interesting! X