Things that happen when Daddy has a week off.

Whoopsy…so I didn’t mean to be away for quite so long. Somehow over two weeks have past since I last put fingertips to keyboard and I’d like to say I have loads to fill you in on… but no. Our nap schedule has gone completely out of the window so my time in the house is now spent chasing a very active, into-everything nine-month old, who could easily win gold if staying awake were an olympic sport and my evenings have been spent rocking in a corner with my knees under my chin …just kidding… watching all of the dramas on TV. The Missing, Our Girl, The Level… Autumn TV is just TOO GOOD.

So last week Carl took the week off work. We’d planned a few nights away, a few days out, long walks and lazy afternoons… a staycation if you will. We had a great week, meningitis scare aside (Carl not Henry) but all of the below are likely to happen when Daddy takes a week off:

1. You both get carried away with the misconception that you’re in for an easier week than normal. Mummy thinks that Daddy can help get up in the night because he doesn’t have to get up for work. Daddy thinks he’s on holiday, so should be able to lie in everyday. Mummy reminds him that holidays from parenting don’t exist. If there were ever a recipe for parental arguments, this little case of crossed wires would produce quite the stew.
  2. You realise that somehow it’s easier to singlehandedly get out of the door with your baby paraphernalia (and your baby) than it is with another person in tow who just doesn’t know your processes – ALWAYS PUT THE BABY IN THE CAR LAST!
  3. Trying to explain why things need to be done by a certain time falls on deaf ears; ‘We need to have left by then or we’ll still be in the car at lunchtime’. ‘Why’s he crying?’ ‘Because it’s lunchtime. That’s why I said we should’ve left earlier’. *Sigh*
  4. Your normal routine goes out of the window and you’re having so much fun that your already excessive washing pile reaches Empire State Building like proportions and by Thursday no one has any clean clothes.
  5. You eat too much. Or just eat. Because, you knowyou have time to.
  6. You can wee alone. Most of the time.
  7. The end of the week comes and you wonder how in the world you’re going to solo parent for five whole days.

Two Tiny Hands

1. October 18, 2016 / 2:48 pm

Brilliant!! With you on the Autumn TV! I’ve spent far too many evenings with square TV eyes instead of square blogging eyes!! xx

2. October 19, 2016 / 10:45 am

I’m sat here nodding along as that’s exactly what happens in our house when daddy is off work. Autumn TV is the best I really like the new The Missing it’s a lot better than the first already. #FamilyFun

3. October 19, 2016 / 11:45 am

I have totally been subject to misconception number one! We were both in for quite a shock when we realised the other had a totally different expectation of what the week was going to involve! And I’d never considered it, but it does take far longer to get out of the house with my husband in tow as well! #FamilyFun

4. October 19, 2016 / 4:03 pm

Oh god yes. You have literally read this post from my mind (well the list part). I always think, yes I can get a full night sleep now Dad is off work, and he thinks yes I can get a full nights sleep and enjoy sleep now I have no work. It’s an agree to disagree subject in our house – the amount of times I say ‘you’re a parent now, no holidays!’ is a joke. But I wouldn’t have it any other way. Well except maybe get my laundry under control more! Oh and by the way, HOW GOOD WAS OUR GIRL?! #FamilyFun

5. October 20, 2016 / 1:57 pm

This is just like us! Whenever my husband has a day off work, I think I’m in for an easy ride but it’s completely the opposite! It takes us forever to get anywhere because I forget that he doesn’t know the drill, and I end up having to shepherd him around as well as my toddler. When he has a few days off, we just about get a routine going by the end of the week and then he’s back to work! #familyfun

6. October 20, 2016 / 3:22 pm

Haha I always look forward to time when Daddy is off and then when he is off…well I am quite happy when he is back at work. Ha. Whilst having the time together is lovely and the kids love it like you say the break in the routine and the not knowing how things are done can grate…I know its not their fault and I a being le bitch but well sometimes it is just along…NOT always though. There are of course benefits to having a second pair of hands and it does of course allow you to (mostly) wee in peace 🙂 Thanks for sharing this at #familyfun xx

7. October 21, 2016 / 7:06 pm

It does always seem harder when the other half is around! Although I’m lucky to get lie ins because I always do the night get ups regardless, it’s just easier! I enjoy spending time as a family though which is the main thing!! Thanks for linking up to #familyfun

8. October 22, 2016 / 7:37 am

Hehe these are brilliant. This is exactly what happens in our house! Why do men think getting the kids strapped in the car early is helpful?? You just end up with grumpy kids and one less adult to help get ready because they now need to stay in the car to supervise.

Plus my hubby just laughs when I try to explain that it’s best to do things in a particular order. But it’s a process I’ve honed and perfected over many years now and it is definitely the most efficient. Anything else means forgetting stuff or getting more stressed or being late.

Ah well – they mean well!