6 Simple Steps to Nap Success

henry nappingI’ve written previously about my naptime woes here, but in the last few months we’ve started to make some progress and I can generally bank on at least one nap a day to cram in all of my  housework…. who am I kidding?! I definitely don’t use nap time to do housework, I definitely spend it on social media…but my Dyson is pretty noisy, as is my washing machine…

So here it is, a nap of decent length in 6 simple steps…

1) Pick exactly the right moment. Too close to feed time and you’re treading on dangerous territory. Sleepy baby + hungry baby = hangry baby (baby maths you don’t want to get right).

2) Following on from above, don’t miss the window of opportunity. Start the process at the first sign of a yawn or eye rub, before the second wind kicks in or you’re setting yourself up for a day of minimal sleep and maximum tears.

3) Make plans for directly after naptime. A surefire way to encourage a longer than average nap is to make plans you’ll inevitably have to cancel because baby is still asleep. Obviously it’s not ideal for the person you’re cancelling on but don’t be tempted to lie to your baby and pretend you have after nap plans. They’ll see right through you.

4) Do not make plans for what you’ll do during naptime. You’re setting yourself up for a fall. Even as their eyes are starting to close, do not allow your mind to wander.

5) Don’t tell anyone that your baby is napping and definitely DO NOT BROADCAST A NAP ON SOCIAL MEDIA. This is a surefire way to put an end to said nap. Sleep is for the weak in baby circles so napping privacy must be respected at all times.

6) Don’t make a warm drink. Everyone knows a baby’s sole aim in life is to prevent their parents from enjoying hot beverages so don’t make this rookie mistake, no matter how tempting.

If I’ve led you on a merry dance down the garden path with this post and you haven’t found a nap at the end I’m very sorry… a trip in the car generally does the trick and I have been known to sit in the car once I’ve arrived at my destination with the engine still running until the nap comes to a natural end…

3 Little Buttons
Mudpie Fridays
Dear Bear and Beany
A Mum Track Mind
Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday
My Kid Doesn't Poop Rainbows

1. August 30, 2016 / 11:05 am

Haha!!! Love this!!!! 😀😀 I call Miss P the nap fighter. It has got a bit better but I get sick of people telling me how long their baby naps for!!! 😀😀

2. August 30, 2016 / 10:42 pm

I had innumerable woes getting mine to nap, and at two years old we still have issues. And there would always be someone going, “well I’ve found the magic solution-it’s called shh pat! Yes, you just shh them whilst patting them on the back!” I would usually end up wanting to kill those people when the advice invariably didn’t work. I’m convinced that some children just don’t like napping, or find it difficult or something, but they ALL have the radar on when you go and make a cup of tea and sit down with it, and they all know that’s wake up time! #dreamteam

August 31, 2016 / 8:32 pm

Oh sshh pat! That NEVER works! Thank you for your comment, I don’t think naptime is a battle I’ll ever consistently win! x

3. August 31, 2016 / 8:07 am

Ha ha so true in everyway, i think they just know if you want to do something when they are asleep, all three of mine have had this strange sixth sense, they can always hear a kettle boil too. Great read #bloggerclubuk

August 31, 2016 / 8:30 pm

Thank you! x

4. August 31, 2016 / 10:57 am

Haha! There are so many times that my mind starts to wander as babys eyes close.. Inevitably the moment I do it all goes to pot and I’m back stacking cups and singing songs before I know it! 😂 Great blog!

August 31, 2016 / 8:30 pm

Thank you, and thank you for the lovely comment! x

5. August 31, 2016 / 11:02 am

Oh my I was worried I’d read this and feel like a terrible mum for not having many long naps in the cot- love it! I have to say the buggy is my saviour!! It makes me feel better when at least some of his naps aren’t in my lap haha. It’s so true about making plans, so irritating if they are asleep when you have a group or something to go to. #DreamTeam

August 31, 2016 / 8:30 pm

Thank you for commenting! Somedays I have no choice but to allow a cuddle sleep, otherwise I’d have some real crankiness to deal with! x

6. August 31, 2016 / 4:50 pm

Ha, ha, I’ve definitely experienced some of these things. The social media broadcast ive learnt is a definite no, no! Emily #BloggerClubUK

7. September 1, 2016 / 7:06 am

love this! spot on! I’d add don’t have a nap too because as soon as you shut your eyes and drift off the baby will wake up… #sharingthebloglove

September 4, 2016 / 7:32 pm

Yes! That’s a great one! Thank you for commenting! x

8. September 2, 2016 / 8:43 am

Lovely post. I definitely agree with first signs. After the third yawn, my son became a noisy little machine. #thelist

September 4, 2016 / 7:28 pm

Thank you! I spend the half hour leading up watching him like a hawk so as not to miss the opportunity. I’m not always successful though! Thank you for commenting! x

9. September 3, 2016 / 9:09 am

This is so true! I had a nap resister – even as a newborn he didn’t understand the concept of daytime sleep. I remember trying to ‘teach’ him how to nap – that teeny tiny window of opportunity is so key! And yes to making plans that mean you’ll have to cancel if the baby does nap – the amount of calls I had to make cancelling, going ‘he’s ASLEEP!’ Thanks so much for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove – I hope we’ll see you again next week!

September 4, 2016 / 7:23 pm

Thank you for commenting and thank you for hosting! x

10. September 3, 2016 / 9:40 am

This is so true. It’s tough to get the little ones down and if you don’t, then things go really wrong! Still very difficult to get that perfect time though!
    The warm drink point is true, and extends to just about anything you want to make yourself to relax when they nap… it’s like they have a sixth sense for a relaxing parent
    #fortheloveofblog

September 4, 2016 / 7:23 pm

Babies hate to see parents relax! Thank you for commenting x

11. September 3, 2016 / 11:26 am

We have nap time woes too – the trouble is Little B has to fit in with the afternoon school run routine which makes having one for him very hard! #thelist

September 4, 2016 / 7:22 pm

Oh I bet that is tricky! My mum says she used to just put me in bed and I’d nod off. HOW?? Maybe I was a good baby! Thank you for commenting! x

12. September 3, 2016 / 10:37 pm

Haha yes, yes and yes! Especially number 5. I am nodding along to all of this, and although I know how to make it happen, somehow we don’t end up with the perfect naps as planned. In fact at 16 months our nap situation is worse than ever! Eek. Thanks for linking up to #dreamteam x

September 4, 2016 / 7:21 pm

Thank you for commenting and for hosting #dreamteam! x

September 4, 2016 / 7:20 pm

Thank you! x

13. September 4, 2016 / 7:14 pm

HAHA! The don’t make plans and don’t make a cup of tea are so very true. I’m convinced babies are born with psychic abilities! #kcacols

September 4, 2016 / 7:18 pm

I think so too! Thank you for commenting! x

14. September 4, 2016 / 9:24 pm

Missing that window of opportunity is definitely the one to get right, otherwise they get a second wind and you have to wait for it to come back round again. Since having my youngest daughter I have a love/hate relationship with naps, when we are at home and have no where to be I love them. It gives me time with my eldest and everyone is happy. When we are out or we need to be somewhere I hate them and find it so stressful getting them to nap at the only time you have available!!! Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove x

September 7, 2016 / 8:23 pm

Thank you for hosting and thank you for commenting! x

15. September 8, 2016 / 9:45 am

Ha ha this is fabulous! So funny. Thanks for linking up to #TheList x

16. September 9, 2016 / 10:53 am

Omg, not missing your window!!! It’s soooooo important. There are waaay too many times I let my son reach his second wind, and the crash afterwards is NO fun at all. Not to mention, now the schedule is all jumbled and messed up, and he’s trying to take a nap an hour before bedtime. Oy…is there such a thing as naptime success? Haha! Thanks for sharing <3 #KCACOLS

17. September 9, 2016 / 4:48 pm

You started out really knowledgable and then……….! Funny! My trick was rolling the buggy back and forth over a bump (the join in flooring between the hall and kitchen usually!), killed my arms but worth it!! #KCACOLS

18. September 9, 2016 / 7:04 pm

Ah yes this sounds rather familiar! It’s a known fact that I have an alarm on me that goes off the minute I sit down! Thanks for sharing on #fortheloveofBLOG

September 11, 2016 / 7:22 pm

Thank you for commenting and for hosting! x

19. September 10, 2016 / 3:51 pm

Haha! So very true. I also find myself moving the buggy backwards and forwards for several minutes once you arrive somewhere … Thanks for linking with #KCACOLS. We hope you come back next time.

September 16, 2016 / 10:06 pm

Best friends aren’t they?! x