Things I Enjoyed About Being Pregnant

20 weeks pregnant

20 weeks pregnant

Although I couldn’t be happier to have Henry bringing me immeasurable joy every day, as I approach the anniversary of my 20 week scan I’ve found myself becoming all nostalgic for the nine short months spent growing my beautiful baby. Here are my favourite things about being pregnant:

1. Eating all the food. Stuffing your face with carbs and not having to worry about looking bloated, being able to blame your fifth cookie on cravings and playing the ‘eating for two’ card when you feel like eating two lunches. Winning.
  2. Naps. I’d never been much of a napper, but while I was pregnant I took advantage of every napping opportunity. On the sofa on a Sunday afternoon, in the car, when I didn’t feel like making tea….I’m also aware that I won’t have the same napping opportunity if I’m lucky enough to bear another child.
  3. Maternity clothes. A lot of people don’t enjoy maternity dressing. I did. It’s a valid excuse for new clothes when nothing else fits and jeans that are as comfy as pyjamas. What’s not to love?
  4. Feeling my baby wiggle was the best feeling, even better when I could see a limb make its way across my tummy.
  5. There are no awkward silences. Everyone always has something to talk to you about and a million questions to ask – although admittedly not always appropriate. The most common being, ‘was it planned?’. Why does that even matter?!
  6. No one wants to be the person who upsets the pregnant lady so you get your own way ALOT. I managed to not only wangle a new chair at work, but I was also taken to Staples to pick my own chair. That was a fun afternoon.
  7. Watching the fleeting expression  of sheer horror on the face of someone who asked a pregnancy related question when I began my answer by fibbing that my bulging stomach was the result of a large lunch. Hilarious! As a sidenote – if in any doubt as to whether someone is with child, DO NOT ASK. There is a waitress in Sheffield who will probably have thrown away an oversized shirt this week after my good friend who shall not be named did not follow my aforementioned advice.
  8. The excitement of the unknown, of finally meeting the baby you feel like you already know looking forward to the months of maternity leave ahead, still naive enough to think of it as ‘time off’.
  9. Buying stuff. I love buying stuff and a baby needs a lot of stuff.
  10. My husband also managed to wangle us a free room upgrade on our last pre-parents city break. See point 6 – no one wants to upset a pregnant lady.

Did you enjoy being pregnant? Do you have anything to add to this list?

You Baby Me Mummy
Post Comment Love
Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday

1. August 21, 2016 / 6:28 am

My best pregnant blag was an earlier flight home from Scotland. I’d finished my meetings early and they told me I’d have to pay to change it. I said I had bad morning sickness and they kindly just changed my ticket. I could have kissed the lady I was so pleased!! #kcacols

August 22, 2016 / 4:08 am

That’s s great one! X

2. August 21, 2016 / 7:54 am

Aww this is such a lovely list! I am very jealous of other people’s pregnancies, I personally hated being pregnant as I was so ill from start to finish both times. I did enjoy buying stuff though, something I have never got out of the habit of 🙂 #KCACOLS

August 22, 2016 / 4:07 am

Thank you! I was very lucky that it was very straightforward and didn’t get why sickness. The buying stuff is the best though! X

3. August 21, 2016 / 3:22 pm

I’m sat cuddling my 3 week old baby and already missing being pregnant! It’s funny because towards the end I was wishing time away waiting to meet my baby, but now he’s here I miss him being in my bump! It’s such a special and exciting time, and maternity clothes are amazing! Oh well, I’ll just have to talk my husband into having number 3 #KCACOLS

August 22, 2016 / 4:04 am

Congratulations! It’s amazing having them here but the feeling of them wriggling away in your tummy is so lovely! Thank you for commenting, enjoy your newborn cuddles! X

4. August 21, 2016 / 5:01 pm

I loved being pregnant! I actually quite enjoyed being the only sober person on a night out to watch people making idiots of themselves (knowing that that would have been me!) and being the only one to remember what had been said the next day! There is nothing like feeling a baby moving inside you and I still have dreams about that feeling! #KCACOLS

August 22, 2016 / 4:49 am

I quite enjoyed that too, I didn’t miss not drinking at all, I’ve barely drank since! Thank you for commenting x

5. August 21, 2016 / 6:39 pm

As someone who hated being pregnant I was intrigued by your title! I don’t feel I took full advantage of the napping opportunities, or the hotel upgrades! As a hater of small talk though I did appreciate always having something to talk about, and I escaped any inappropriate comments thankfully! Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday

August 22, 2016 / 3:57 am

Thank you for your comment! I don’t think it will be as easy to take advantage of those opportunities in any subsequent pregnancies! X

6. August 21, 2016 / 7:15 pm

It is brilliant for small talk , which is great for an introvert like me! I mostly enjoyed being pregnant , despite the horrible discomfort towards the end ! #kcacols

August 22, 2016 / 4:48 am

Thank you for commenting! Small talk is a good one, and everyone is nice, inappropriate comments aside! X

7. August 22, 2016 / 6:51 pm

This is lovely! I personally hated pregnancy, both times! But I guess there were some perks like the shopping, and I did like maternity clothes. Plus, despite being in constant pain (hence the hating) it was really exciting… Wondering what they would look like, be like, smell like etc.
    #KCACOLS

August 23, 2016 / 3:13 pm

I was really lucky, I know many people who hated it. I was tired a lot though- I thought I was anyway, it’s before I knew what being really tired was! Thank you for commenting! x

8. August 24, 2016 / 9:07 pm

Pregnancy was not my favorite state of being, but I do find myself missing it now. Your list does highlight the good parts, and they do mostly outweigh the bad.

August 25, 2016 / 9:08 pm

Thank you for commenting. I think I was lucky to have a good experience, I was tired a lot but looking back I don’t think I knew what tired really felt like! x

9. August 24, 2016 / 9:35 pm

I wish I’d appreciated being pregnant more, and I know I should have taken more advantage of the napping opportunities. The best bit was definitely feeling my baby move though. I missed that so much once she was here! #KCACOLS

August 25, 2016 / 9:08 pm

I swear I can sometimes feel phantom kicks, i must’ve just got so used to it! Thank you for commenting x

10. August 24, 2016 / 9:40 pm

Ha – you know I think this is the first post I’ve read that refers to being pregnant as nine short months, and you’re right it’s a great time to spend growing your baby. Thanks for linking to #PoCoLo xx

August 25, 2016 / 9:07 pm

Thank you for commenting and thank you again for hosting! x

11. August 25, 2016 / 12:00 pm

was it planned…goodness some people are so bloody nosey! and rude!! hehe re tricking people about having a big lunch. id def want to do that if there was a next time haha #KCACOLS

August 25, 2016 / 9:00 pm

I had that more times than I care to mention! Congratulations would have sufficed! Thank you for commenting x

12. August 25, 2016 / 2:36 pm

I will admit I do remember enjoying the comfy maternity clothes and excuse to take naps. This is reminding me of the good things so thanks. #KCACOLS

August 25, 2016 / 8:59 pm

Thank you for your comment! It’s the jeans that did it, I miss those bad boys! x

13. September 1, 2016 / 12:11 pm

I loved being pregnant, and think my favourite thing is feeling them kick and wriggle around. Both my two were really active and I loved it! x #KCACOLS

September 4, 2016 / 7:31 pm

Thank you for commenting. I loved the kicks! x