After a couple of very sleepless nights staying over at my mums house where we were celebrating Henry’s christening (read about it here), the last of which resulted in a 1am drive home in hope he’d JUST GO TO SLEEP in his own bed, and 2 hours sleep for his already bleary eyed parents, I thought I’d list – you know how I love a list – the thoughts that occupy a tired mind in the twilight hours.
- *Baby Stirs* – ‘please don’t cry, please don’t cry….yes! Oh no… at least I’ve had some slee…*checks time* it’s 10.30pm, I’ve been only been asleep for 30 minutes!’
- ‘Ahhhh he’s asleep! Yes! When is the right time to attempt to put him back in bed?’ *does floppy arm test* ‘Off we go….’
- ‘Obviously you were pretending to be asleep. Let’s try again. If Daddy even dares snore, shuffle or cough when he nods off again I’ll punch him in the face. Right, I think he’s really asleep now.’
- An hour later… ‘HOW ARE YOU AWAKE AGAIN! GO TO SLEEP! WHY WON’T YOU SLEEP?! I’M TIRED, HOW CAN YOU NOT BE TIRED?!’
- ‘Maybe something’s wrong. I’ll check his temperature. He’s fine and now I think I’ve woken him up even more, if that’s possible. Maybe it’s his teeth. Now I feel evil for wishing he’d sleep if he’s in pain. Let’s have a cuddle’.
- ‘Ooohh! A stackable shoe rack. What a GREAT idea. And a heated clothes airer. Cuts my drying time in half – PERFECT! Oh he’s asleep again. In fact I think he has been for a while. Somehow I’ve passed an hour on the internet. I could’ve been asleep. I’m such a moron.’
- *wakes in panic* ‘Oh no! Where’s the baby? I was holding him! I’ve dropped him on the floor! I’ve rolled on him…nope…Daddy’s rolled on him…nope…’ *tip toes into his room* ‘Oh he’s there. Thank God. I’ll just check he’s still breathing…whoops…’don’t wake up yet. DON’T WAKE UP YET! Please make it to at least 6am!’
- ‘It’s 5.15. Now we’re on dodgy ground. It’s dangerously close to feed time so if you’re not asleep in the next 15 minutes I’ve got no chance…yes! You’re asleep. Now I’m wide awake. I’ll just check my emails….oh! When did I order a stackable shoe rack?’
- ‘Maybe I am still tired…oh…maybe not. Aren’t babies supposed to sleep?!’ *stumbles across the landing to be met with the biggest smile, heart melts.*