Hello, my name is Claire & I’m a weaning wimp.

If you have read any of my previous posts, or you know me, you might have noticed that I’m an out and out worrier. In order to ease my worries I often turn to Google (ignoring my own advice!). Just to paint a little picture for any first time readers, here are a few examples of past behaviours:

• Sitting at my desk at work pre-baby, taking part in a detailed, work related discussion and suddenly develop an overwhelming feeling that I didn’t turn the hair straighteners off. Drenched in panic sweat, I interrupt and tell them I have to go home because I think I’ve left the straighteners on. I go home, and find the straighteners off, and away in the cupboard.
  • Again, pre baby, on the way to work a delivery driver swore at me because I politely asked him to move his van so I could pass through the road. I sent an angry email to the company director to inform them of his down right rude and anti social behaviour. Then spent the rest of the morning worrying what might happen to the drivers’ children if he lost his job so sent another email asking that he not be sacked, as I was willing to forgive him and write off the incident as an ‘off day’, assuring the director that his actions had not negatively impacted my opinion of the delivery company in question.
  • Spent my the entirety of my holiday in Greece last year worrying if the flight / Greek food / being in the sun / being in the pool might have caused harm to my unborn baby.

I research EVERYTHING I do when it comes to Henry, so I can be as confident as possible in the decisions I make. I read three books about weaning and when we started felt fully armed and raring to go. I was going to mix up puree and baby led weaning and start with some mushed sweet potato to wet his appetite, then give him some chunks of avocado, bread and broccoli to munch on. As it happens I’m yet to give him any food to hold and chew on because I’m terrified of him choking, despite several books assuring me that he’ll be fine. I think he’ll also prefer to nibble on whole foods as the small chunks of avocado, banana and strawberry have been the most well received.

For some reason I’m also reluctant to give him anything but porridge, veg and fruit. On the way home from a walk today I decided to grow a pair of weaning balls and buy some normal foods that normal people eat.. bread, cheese, yoghurt. I got to the supermarket and wandered around aimlessly staring at the aisles. I studied the labels on the bread loaves and broke into a sweat about the salt levels. Should I buy white or brown? I decided to give up on bread and perused the cheese and found the same issue. Bloody salt. I gave up and bought a sweet potato. On the bright side, Henry LOVES those baby carriers that are built into supermarket trolleys. Although his persistence in trying to chew the straps despite covering them with a blanket just added another thing to my list of worries…oh the germs!

If anyone has any weaning words of wisdom please share. Alternatively if you want to pop round and give me a slap around the face and tell me to get a grip, that would probably be more appropriate.

Post Comment Love

Linky

1. July 29, 2016 / 7:55 am

Oh a woman after my own heart – I’m an anxious, research-eveything kind of mummy too! Haha.

We went for baby led weaning in the end (normal food). It’s REALLY messy at first but if you do it every day, I think it only took about 3weeks before baby was getting quite proficient. I hope you manage to get it sorted soon. #PoCoLo

2. Now my Name is Mummy
    July 29, 2016 / 9:07 am

I think that’s the way I’ll go. It seems to be much better received. When I try and give him anything by spoon he just takes it off me and wants to do it himself. Porridge is a messy affair every morning but when I share my lunch it’s easier and he enjoys it!

Thank you for your comment. I loved your post about your daughters last day in reception! X

3. July 29, 2016 / 7:26 pm

We had to start early weaning at 4 months (guided by the health visitor) so baby led isn’t an option for us yet. He loves his purees though! I have given him half a rusk a few days ago though. He can’t coordinate his hand to his mouth very well so I was hoping a bit of food incentive might encourage that movement! I want to head for more baby lead once he can actually sit in a highchair and can eat dairy/wheat/meat etc #pocolo

July 29, 2016 / 9:13 pm

I’ve had some success with bread today in that he liked it, but shoved the whole finger of toast in his mouth! He’s definitely got an appetite! My friend started at four months, her baby is now 7 months and eating the same as her so it’s gone really well! x

4. July 29, 2016 / 8:31 pm

Just try and take baby steps with it and try not to be too scared, best thing is to offer a huge variety of flavours and textures.Be brave, they’ll thank you in the long run. Popping over from the #binkylinky

July 29, 2016 / 9:15 pm

Thank you, I definitely need to be braver. Or my goal of him having a varied diet isn’t going to happen! Thank you for commenting. Have a great weekend x

5. July 29, 2016 / 9:46 pm

I used to worry loads and reasearched everything baby related. THen I discovered blogging and I don’t have time to research! I’m 7 months in to weaning and we went baby led all the way after i spent 1 day making puree that he didn’t eat. He hasn’t choked at all and I don’t buy him special foods, he just eats what ever I eat now. Trust your little one. Pasta is a hit. #pocolo

July 30, 2016 / 7:00 am

That is a plus point! It’s great hearing other people’s experiences too! I need to be more creative, I might give pasta a try today actually! Thank you for the tip! Thank you for commenting, have a great weekend x

6. Nige
    July 31, 2016 / 7:46 am

Take it slowly and it will all work out our twins took ages to be weaned super post Thanks for linking to the #binkylinky please come back next week

July 31, 2016 / 6:31 pm

Thank you for your comment, hope you had a lovely weekend!

7. Emily
    July 31, 2016 / 7:32 pm

I remember with our twins being so stressed it was hard work but we got there in the end fab post Thanks for linking to the #binkylinky

August 1, 2016 / 6:34 pm

Thank you! x

8. August 3, 2016 / 7:51 am

I understand more than most your worries (I’m an Anxiety sufferer) but weaning was oddly something I enjoyed. We did full baby-led weaning and I was lucky that T took to it really well. I’m now a huge advocate of it and I’ve even blogged about it myself. I’ll Tweet you the link in case it’s helpful xx

August 3, 2016 / 9:16 pm

Thank you Laura, I’m finding blogging is helping my anxiety, I can rant and rave over the internet and hopefully not let Henry see how I worry! Thankyou for your comment and for the links! xx

9. August 3, 2016 / 7:51 am

Meant to say #binkylinky lol

10. August 5, 2016 / 12:15 pm

I’ve no advice to add I’m afraid, but I think I’d be doing the research too. Hope you pick up some really fab advice and that Henry likes what he’s offered – well, most of it anyway! Thanks for linking to #PoCoLo really good to have you join in.

August 6, 2016 / 10:31 am

Thank you, and thank you for hosting! X