Putting a baby down for a nap would be a good test for sainthood.

Asleep in bed, just not his bed

Asleep in bed, just not his bed.

Oh naptime. Restorative for baby, refreshing for Mummy but oh so tricky. For months Henry would only nap in the car or the pram. My attempts to get him to nap in his crib would go something like this…

He starts to gaze into the distance, rubbing his eyes and yawning. I whip him into his crib and endeavour to put him to sleep. The mere action of putting him into his bed sends him into hysterics, and so back out he comes. Do the whole shush-pat routine until his eyes close again and attempt to put him into bed, as the books say, ‘sleepy but awake’ (what does that even mean?!) Hysteria ensues again and so back out he comes. Repeat the whole charade 74 times, at which point give in because it’s feed time.

Six months in and we’re finally getting somewhere. We have a morning nap, around 10.30-11 most days and an afternoon nap at around 2.30. Both only tend to last around 30 minutes but he sleeps pretty well during the night (most of the time) so I can live with that. However, in order to get to this point we’ve developed a boob shaped sleep association, I’m told this isn’t a good thing, but since it soothes and comforts him I don’t really see an issue. Plus I have (albeit very small) boobs. I don’t have much patience…

Mudpie Fridays

1. July 27, 2016 / 12:44 pm

My daughter would never go down for a nap, she would only nap on me on the sofa. Good excuse for me to sit on the sofa all afternoon though, haha x #BloggerClubUK

July 28, 2016 / 7:35 am

Haha yes! I’ve had a few of those. It always leads to me entering This Morning competitions though! X

2. July 27, 2016 / 10:01 pm

I remember this all too well and I have it all to look forward to again!o I let Leo feed to sleep until he was 10.months old, I tried to do the whole put down sleepy thing but it never worked!it wasn’t until Leo was about 18months that I could put him in his cot when he was still awake at nap time xx #BloggerClubUK

July 28, 2016 / 7:34 am

Thank you for your comment! I don’t think many babies self settle early on, and why would they? The world must be scary for them! X

3. July 28, 2016 / 11:15 am

Nodding along to this, can totally relate! Im currently sat on the sofa with a sleeping (yay!) baby as naptime in the cot was a non starter today! X

July 28, 2016 / 3:09 pm

It’s a good excuse to do nothing though isn’t it? xx

4. August 9, 2016 / 11:28 pm

Hey! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with
    us so I came to look it over. I’m definitely enjoying the information. I’m bookmarking
    and will be tweeting this to my followers!
    Terrific blog and fantastic design. http://Bing.co.uk/