Weather Panic.

In typically British fashion, I spent most of last week whinging about the rain between cries of ‘when is summer coming?!’. Then, in typically British fashion, the sun has arrived and my complaint is now that it is too hot. Not too hot for me I should point out, but the hot weather has added another thing to my long list of things that I worry might happen to the baby… ‘Will a bird try and peck the baby while I hang the washing out?’, ‘Can he drown himself if he drinks too much water?’, ‘What if he hides porridge in his cheeks like a hamster and then goes to sleep?’. My brain is already at worry capacity.

So with Sunday came sun, we went to his swimming lesson and barbecued in our very shaded garden. On Monday I woke up with enthusiasm for embracing the weather and set off for a lovely summers picnic at Sheffield’s Botanical Gardens. I packed us up, bundled us into the car, turned the air-con up and off we went.

Half way into the journey with a whinging six month old and the weather anxiety sets in; ‘I shouldn’t have come, it’s too hot for him. What if he overheats? What if he gets sun stroke? What if the factor 50 I’ve slathered all over him is faulty and he burns?’ I decide to stop off at the supermarket to check on him and to calm my nerves with a bottle of sparkling water. We set off again and he’s remarkably quiet. ‘Oh no, he’s too hot. Is he breathing?’ I stop at the traffic lights and poke him on the forehead. He moves and I breathe a sigh of relief.

Finally, nerves just about in tact we arrive at the destination. Lay out a blanket in the shade and wait for our friends to join us, all the while feeling tremendously guilty for bringing him out rather than sitting him in the kitchen next to the open freezer door.

After I pretty nice afternoon we come home, the narrative of my paranoid brain following a similar pattern to the journey there. Bedtime comes and his room, that he’s only been in for two weeks is pretty warm. So I decide the only thing for it is to sleep on the floor next to the cot so I can experience the same temperature as him, therefore know if he’s too hot…

Am I insane? Tell me I’m not the only one who’s mind is consumed by irrational worries? There’s no wonder I keep forgetting appointments, mixing up dates and double booking my poor friends. My baby brain cannot process any more information.

Now we’re on the third day of this glorious heatwave I’m a touch more rational. So I’m off to cover us in suncream, don the sun hats and sit in the garden. After all, there are mums in Australia who seem to cope just fine.

Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday

1. July 31, 2016 / 7:52 am

Ahh babies and heat make for a very stressed mummy…I totally know how you feel. My boy is nearly 3 and I still have all these worries when it is hot. Baby brain does get better though so don’t worry 🙂 xx #KCACOLS

2. Now my Name is Mummy
    July 31, 2016 / 10:33 am

Oh that’s good to know! I’m terrible🙈
    Thank you for your comment! X

3. August 1, 2016 / 9:53 pm

I am exacly like this. Mine are 3 and 18 months now and it does get a little easier – the more things you get through the more you know what to expect and it quells the irrational thoughts. But every now and then they still crop up… I dreamt that my smallest fell down the well (the extremely secure, double padlocked well) at my mum’s house in France and I now can’t stop worrying about it. Very annoying parenthood side effect that no one properly explains “You will henceforth me permanently terrified” Thanks so much for linking with #KCACOLS. We hope you come back next week!

August 2, 2016 / 8:55 pm

Thank you for your comment! It’s good to know it gets a little easier! x

4. August 2, 2016 / 8:10 am

We worry about so much as mum’s and many of the things are completely irrational. Hope you had a nice time anyway!

August 2, 2016 / 8:58 pm

We did thank you! Just as I got used to it it’s started to rain again! x

5. August 2, 2016 / 10:45 pm

This isn’t at all unusual – think we all experience these irrational worries from time to time! They should become easier to deal with in time. Have to admit I do grumble a bit about the heat, then feel guilty about it. And of course despite slathering the factor 50 on the kids always totally forget to protect myself from the sun so end up burning. Can’t really blame that on baby brain any more so it must just be me! #KCACOLS

6. August 5, 2016 / 8:20 pm

I don’t we we ever grow out of this, you should of seen me recently when my daughter had her first serious illness at 10. I had an absolute meltdown #kcacols

August 5, 2016 / 9:14 pm

Thank you for your comment! I would have too, it must have been scary! x